Top 17 Things I’ve Discovered in 5 Days at Grand Cayman
1. Chickens cross the road all the time. Heck, Cayman chickens invented the old joke – why did the chicken cross the road?
2. Driving on the opposite side of the road just feels right unless it’s in a roundabout.
3. Bicycles and roundabouts are not my friend.
4. Ajo has been replaced with ‘yah mon.’
5. 88F during December is considered a cool spell.
6. There will always be someone who has it more difficult than you.
7. Leaving your husband in Italy was hard, super hard. But leaving your 2-year-old daughter in the Philippines and not returning for two years must be painstakingly difficult.
8. Who knew WiFi internet could be so fast?
9. 4.5ft lizards have replaced the street cows of Sardinia
10. Catcalls of the like: sexy baby, oh baby, hey baby, sexy woman, pretty girl and sssssssssst will become common daily occurrences and there’s nothing I can do about it.
11. Living beside the airport makes it feel like Armageddon – all day, everyday.
12. You are required by law to remove sunglasses and hats when entering a bank or any government institution.
13. Cayman is a conservative country – there are no topless beaches and if found topless you will receive a fine and probably go to jail. Hello, white triangles!
14. If you’re having a picnic at the lovely Botanical Gardens and eating sushi it’s probable that the 4.5 foot blue iguanas will attack.
15. It’s a good idea to keep elbows in when riding a bike on the famous Seven Mile Beach.
16. Seven Mile Beach is actually 6.5 miles.
17. The supermarkets rock! Hello, Grey Poupon, peanut butter, soft brown sugar and oatmeal!